www.flickr.com

Thursday, March 11, 2010

The sun shines, the snow melts. Happens every year.

It took me a few years to figure it out, but it seems that every spring, I have a hard time coping with life.  The past few months have been particularly stressing, but despite that, I'm actually doing pretty okay.

Here's the way I see it: Every spring people get a hint of what's to come and they start getting silly, running around in shorts and T shirts when it really isn't that warm yet, getting out their motorcycles and carefully stored summer cars, and packing away the snowblower.  We all darn well know it's gonna snow again.  It always does.

But for a short time, we sort of don't care.


That little taste of summer feels so good.  

(I really must find a better tether for this poor guy.  Spending the winter under a snowbank was not good for this rope.  Last year's chain didn't do much better.)


This is the fourth day of sunshine.  The corral is drying up and I finally feel like going out there and doing something with my two hayburners.  Out in the pasture, a steady trickle of water runs down the low spot.  All the snow banks are gone now.  There are only a few wet spots in the corral.  The horses have been rolling off chunks of winter fur, and providing us with regular horse shows.  



The downside is that there's no way around it: SPRING STINKS.

In town, all the winter's worth of dog droppings surfaces in backyards, while out here, a giant pile of next year's compost is just cooking away in the sun and stinkin' up the place.  

I walk the Pug around the back and stare down at the mud, and the slimy remains of melted snow.  The horses are filthy.  There's gravel in places it shouldn't be because of snowplows.  

I don't think this is why I get seasonally depressed.  I don't know why.  I kind of don't care.  I'll just keep taking my big pink capsules and running around with my dog and staring at the huge lamp every morning.  



It's gonna be okay.  It is every year.  All I have to do is give it time.  And you know what? Looking out the window and seeing this somehow makes it all feel so much better.

I have an appointment with Dr Puggy and Dr Phoenix this afternoon.  Lucky me.

7 comments:

DILLIGAF said...

"I really must find a better tether for this poor guy"

I'm glad you said that. I was slightly worried at precisely which bit of him it was tied!...;-)

It won't snow again over in England babe. I've told it not to so it wouldn't dare!

Enjoy Spring!!!!!!

Unknown said...

You guys get slightly more snow than we do here but it was so much warmer near your place than here last weekend. I was in Toronto with a friend last weekend and we were in thin sweatshirts and still warm!

Heidi Willis said...

I know what you mean this year! I just came in from outside, and you know what shows up when three feet of snow finally melts?? Mud and mounds of DOG POO!! GROSS!!!

I spent an hour tiptoeing around in the mud (gosh I hope it was mud) scooping up the poop and throwing it in the woods.

YUCK!!

I say next year we skip straight to summer.

Paul Tee said...

Nature is so wonderful. He/she/it has a time for everything. Can certainly be cold and blustery in winter; hot enough in summer to wish winter back, but there are transition times when things are just right. When the snow melts, the mud dries and the grass perks up and starts turning green.

What I enjoy the most, however, is that people cast off layers of clothes and become recognizable again. One wants to linger, take the long way around, hoping to rediscover a neighbour. Instead of an overcoat, one can get away with wearing just a smile.

We are in those times. The sun is warm, the air is welcoming and the breeze is tender. But there are issues, as you mentioned. Men's best friend gets around and leaves his calling cards everywhere. With 50-acres of surrounding nature, you would think my dog would have opportunities galore to dispose of his waste discretely, in a civilized manner, instead of depositing his contribution just inches from the backdoor. I judge winter, not by the depth of snow, as this periodically melts or shrink, but by the height of my dog's accumulation. A harsh winter is evidenced by a monument that impedes my way. Like an anthropologist digging at a cultural site, I can, for example, tell when I had switched to a new brand of dog food, changing colour and even texture of the deposited layers.

Actually I'm doing better this time than in other years, having harvested this abundance while in the hard, frozen state, and carting it away, before it turns into a mush that smears like peanut butter on soggy toast. (You haven't played street hockey until you have batted a frozen dog puck around, and won your version of the Stanley Cup.)
Oh well, at least in town, the streets are cleaner than they used to be, because of bylaws and such.

Geez. Sorry. I keep forgetting this is not my blog.

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh discussions of dog poop are always okay here!!

I know what you mean, Paul and Heidi. I've been finding little gifts just past the deck. Coincidentally it's where the snowdrift was lower and he could do it shielded from the wind!

Sydney, you know it's warming up when I of all people lose the jacket. I even took off my toque!!

4D, the snow wouldn't dare reappear in England! You guys got battered over there. I hope you're treated much better from here on!

Xtin said...

Spring is hard. It is. Sometimes I think it is because it is watching the world's possibilities open up again, and possiblities are terrifying. No, they ARE. Everyone stop telling me that they are exciting ...

Good to see you Heidi!

Biddie said...

Can you believe how incredibly WONDERFUL the weather has been? I have been out twice this week wearing just my sweater. Well, not just my sweater, silly, but instead of a coat.
The dog poop in our yard..Yikes. Of course Bumble is hiding out in that one tiny patch of snow. He is the only 'person' in our house that will miss it. Maybe I can get Ruby to actually go out side for her business now....
Have I said again how THRILLED I am to have you guys home again??