www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Before & After: Library Edition

I promised myself that I'd dig into the housework once I'd sent my first query for this book. I wanted to start with my big bookshelf. It seemed fitting, doncha think?

I got at it actually before I hit the SEND button. I needed just a little more breathing room to freak out and convince myself that yes, the query letter is the best I can make it. After the bookshelves were filled, I had a bath and beer, not necessarily in that order, a chapter of Potter, and then...I called my husband, read the letter to him one more time, changed two more things, decided it was friggin PERFECT, and hit the button!!!!!!!

I got up this morning, walked down the hall, and said, Geez woman, that is one gorgeous library.

But...this is what it looked like when I started the project.


Junky! Dusty! Chaos!

I got two new shelves cut for it, and started pulling stuff off and setting it all over the living room. This is why I can't show you pictures of the two chairs or the couch or the dining room table. Oh man, what have I done? It'll take me two years to clean this up!

When I gave up last night, this is what it looked like:



and here it is this morning:



I think it's a thing of beauty. Of course, half the junk that was on there didn't make it back in. Now I have to clear out those cabinets underneath. At least I don't have books stacked up in front of and on top of other books. It was getting crazy. It was looking like the inside of my brain. Wow, I hope maybe now the inside of my brain will get a little easier to move around in. That would be nice.

I've really set myself up for some work. Not only do I have to fix up those cabinets but I also have to clear off the top of the piano so I can set the family pictures up. Jethro says a piano that holds up pictures and knick knacks is a piano that never gets tuned and therefore never gets played. Well, I got a nice guitar that I think he should play too...what have I started?????

Today I'm going to go work with a horse and do yard work, then get back at this mess....and wait for the results of the query letter.

9 comments:

Biddie said...

What an undertaking. You shpuld have seen all of the crap that we clean out of the cabinets in our living room when we did the floors..I'm still cleaning that disaster up. Cripes. Someone should call in the Red Cross.
Well Done!
Have a good day. Spend some time with your horse friend. There will be lots of time to deal with the mess later.

Heidi the Hick said...

I can't wait to see your new floors!!!

Isn't it awful, the mess you have to make just to get something fixed up/cleaned up/looking right.

My horse friend (as in the human who owns the horses that I visit) is at her doctor's this morning. Her baby is due in about two weeks. I'll be spending a lot of time out there pretty soon...

So today I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear back from Mr Literary Agent and poking this mess I've made in my living room. I've got two piles of books that I don't want to put back on the shelf. And lots of junk. but the kids aren't home so I don't want to get rid of it til they can have a say in it.

The dog is rather ticked off that he can't find room on the couch.

Also he's out of joint because the kids aren't home. He keeps looking at me like I've forgotten something...

Biddie said...

whenever my kids are all out of the house - which seldom happens all at once - ruby gets scared that she's next, like i got rid of them or something....dumb dog....

Heidi the Hick said...

hahahaha!

Maybe that's why he looks so worried.

Mind you he kind of always looks like that.

dilling said...

oooh, I wish I had so many bookshelves...or even room for so many shelves....

katy said...

thats a lovely book case, a nice piece of furniture for sure

Heidi the Hick said...

Dilling, I love my bookcase. This is the only wall in the house long enough to fit it. It's massive. I fear that some day when we move, our little old (new) house won't have one unbroken wall of space for the whole thing!! It does come apart but I hate to do it.

Indoors, thank you. My father in lawr was a shop teacher so we got it built for cost by his students! It's a high school shop project!! We totally lucked out!

Michael Colvin said...

You did such a good job I think you should fly over and do my desk!

Heidi the Hick said...

OOh Tod! I'd love to!

I'll get on the plane, you wait up with a few garbage bags and some boxes to put thrift store things into.

And we'll need some of those biscuits, now that you'll have room on your desk for them.

And beer.

Heck wine will do too.

Speaking of which...