www.flickr.com

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Horses

Remember the Broodmare? She kept our Little Lady company after Champ died, and before Phoenix came into my life.


I just got an email from her owner including pictures of her new baby! Suzy gave birth to a lovely chestnut filly- a big girl- with three white socks, a white blaze, and a huge white blanket across her hindquarters. She is gorgeous. Suzy looks great and I feel so good that we took good enough care of her that her baby came out all perky and...alive!!! What a buzz to actually see the little critter that poked around inside the mare's belly for the last few months that she lived with us.

That was a nice little piece of happiness in my email.

Here's our Little Lady modelling her new Short Shank Jointed Curb Bit. That's the Thing In Her Mouth, in case you're wondering.


Can you tell she's just so stoked to be graduated up to the Big Girl Bit. I mean. Wow. The Enthusiasm. Hey, that was sarcasm outta me!!!! This horse doesn't get up for much of anything. She gets right upset if I take Phoenix away from her, or if you set up a tent on the lawn beside the corral, which ripples in the breeze, and then have a kid crawl into it which makes it look like THE TENT ATE THE KID but other than that she really doesn't get excited about much, including a new bit. This is why we kept her for our kids. She takes good care of them!

She doesn't really seem to care that there's a camera in her face either. She's so cute but often has a completely bored look. This is not a big horse. To get an idea of proportion, I am 5'1" tall. She's only 14hh (in horse height speak). She's a very stocky and muscular build, but she's actually very petite.


And I just noticed that the John Deere hat looks ridiculously huge on my child sized head. Whatevs.

Somebody else got a new bit last week. Here's my boy Phoenix in a nice Eggbutt Snaffle. Just take a minute to soak in that crazy term. Eggbutt Snaffle. That's what it's called! I love the horse world.



Now you can soak up the beauty of my horse. Go ahead. I do every time I see him. You may too.

Yeah...I think I'm in love again.

Here we are on our first trip around the corral with the new steering mechanism in his mouth. I try not to get too heavy handed with a horse's mouth. I am getting better at using my legs and the shift of my weight to cue him. (Although I still need to lengthen my legs and keep my heels down! I blame years of riding bareback!) After the first time around, he was already done chawing at the bit. He just keeps getting better and better.



Look at him standing there.


He's a good boy. He knows what WHOA means.

Of course he's testing me. He has to. He needs to find what my limits are, what I'll let him get away with, what I expect of him. He needs to know if I really mean it or not. If it turns out that I don't mean it, and that I'm not worthy of his trust, then he has to take over. That's the way horses work. Somebody has to be the leader! He'd kind of like to be the leader...and I like that about him.

I need the challenge. I don't know any other way. It's always been a challenge, since I got my first crusty little Shetland pony when I was five years old. My last horse was a flashy, fiery little ball of righteous arrogance. I loved it. He fought me every step of the way for the first four or five years. Yeah, it bugged me...but I kept him! Phoenix is a keeper. He's a fast learner, he's stubborn, he's clever, and he's a real mellow fellow. I'm older than I was when I bought my Half Arab in 1989. I'm ready for a Mella Fella. He's a challenge, but in a laid back kind of way. I'm up for it. I like him pretty good.

It doesn't hurt that he's handsome.





And just look at these spots!



I'm looking forward to many more years of memorizing his spots...



15 comments:

Astaryth said...

Short Shank Jointed Curb Bit

We used to call those bits 'Tom Thumbs'.... Most horses like them just fine, but occasionally you get one who doesn't... that would be my Boo LOL! I ended up with him in a funky little thing I should take a picture of and post one day. Your new guy is definitely a handsome boy and I can sure tell you are enjoying him!

raine said...

Hi Heidi -
Just saying hi and letting you know I have been enjoying your posts. Is it true that "horsey" teen age girls stay out of trouble - they love their horse instead of boys..? Planning for the future. Please read my blog - er - disclosure.

dilling said...

he's so handsome...can we see the baby?

katy said...

pure beauty, and yes can we see the baby please

Heidi the Hick said...

I'll have to ask my friend if she has any pictures of the horses with no people in the background. I'd love to show the filly off because she's quite striking. And mama looks great!

I'll have to do a whole post on teenage girls and horses. That's a goldmine.

Bit discussion...non-horsey people might want a break to go get a tea or a beer or a bowl of cereal...

As for the bit...years ago there was a lot of confusion for me as to what a "Tom Thumb" bit was. Three different people told me three different bits. But yes, this is the one. I'd totally forgotten about that name!

I plan to put Phoenix back into the sidepull again for a while, when I feel like he's got the snaffle all figured out. Then I'll put him in a curb. Eventually I want both horses to work off of a solid mouth curb with a port (a curve in the mouthpiece that contours to the roof of the mouth) because I want them both feather light and broke.

But, I like the idea have having them so broke they don't need mouth contact. Also bits are nasty in Canadian winters and I'm sick of warming bits. So I'll probably invest in a hackamore at some point.

Okay all you non-horsey people can come back now...

Heidi the Hick said...

Also one of my saddle club buddies has a horse who hated that bit. She'd ride her with a bosal until two minutes before the class, put the bridle on, ride the class, win it usually, then change back to the bosal after her classes were done.

She NEVER put much pressure on that horse's mouth, or the horse would go straight up.

I learned from this friend that the trick to showing is to not ask the horse to do stuff that makes her look bad. She used voice commands and neck reining and weight shifts to cue her mare so that she never had to pull on that bit!!

CindyDianne said...

When I first got JJ, they told me he used an Egg Butt Snaffle. But, he had no stop, his transitions were non-existent - nothing but walk and run like hell. I moved him to a short shanked correction bit. He loves it and I have more control. It allows me to have VERY light hands with him and I like that too.

Rain - the quick answer to that question is "kind of"! Ha!

emily said...

what kind of camera do you use?

Timmy said...

awesome pics!

Heidi the Hick said...

I use, believe it or not, a little wee Sony Cybershot!

It's small enough to fit in the back pocket of my jeans. Ridiculously small.

We've had it for over a year and I'm getting the hang of it. I've discovered Macro and I love it. I might do another whole series of my eyebrow hairs in close up.

And of course, Appaloosa spots.

the nice thing is that my 13 year old daughter loves it too.

Of course you guys only see the good shots. I delete tons of pictures.

I'll have to write up a post about photography some day. I'm not a photographer but I love the visuals!

Michael Colvin said...

He's a beauty. I love the spots in his coat, it's like chocolate chip ice cream.

Coffeypot said...

All this talk about bits and the crazy names they have. You are using them on horsed aren't you. I mean, Jeathro is okay, isn't he. You are not into S&M with this stuff, are you? And if they are for horses, why so many and what is the difference? I thought bits made a horse go right, left and stop. But what do I know. The last horse I rode almost killed me. I think I told you about it before.

Doughnut said...

If I didn't know you better Heidi, I'd say you have at least two fixations I have discovered in reading your blog....JD and horses to be sure....I am sure there is more to follow too!

Doughnut said...

BTW: I love the hat...am still waiting to see you ride off into the sunset on that horse just like the old westerns....and they lived happily ever after!

Heidi the Hick said...

Well...

There will be a lesson on bits and their functions but there won't be a test!

Yes it's all horse equipment.

Yes, Jethro is okay.

Although the whips jokes do tend to fly hard around here. And the spurs jokes...lots of comedy mileage outta that!

Hey you know what I really like? I like pictures of Johnny Depp WITH a horse! In "Sleepy Hollow" his Ichabod Crane could barely ride a horse to save his life. Good times.

I am going to work on getting that riding off into the sunset photo.

And I never thought of it that Phoenix's coat looks like chocolate chip ice cream. I like that!