www.flickr.com

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Horse Tail Therapy


For me, grooming a horse has never, ever been a chore. I look forward to it and often I’ve spent more time brushing my horse than riding! It’s an activity that’s all good and nothing bad. I’d even go so far as to say that grooming a horse is very effective therapy for whatever ails you.

Grooming such a large animal takes a certain amount of physical exertion, which everybody knows is good for a person. Digging into a hide with a hard curry comb, pressing in circular motions to bring all the dirt out of his coat...I think if you do it right you’re going to raise your heart rate!

Flicking all of that dirt off the horse’s body with a stiff brush is very satisfying. Visually, you can see a difference. You know you’ve accomplished something because that dirt is disappearing.

Finally, going over his whole body with a nice soft brush, smoothing out the hairs, pulling out the last few stubborn bits of dust, and leaving a nice shine on his coat, is almost meditative.

You know the feeling’s mutual when you look at his face. His ears are drooping, his eyes are half closed, and if you’re really good at your job, his bottom lip might be twitching a little!


If you weren’t friends before, you will be now.

Notice that I referred to the horse as male. There might be times when your little mare isn’t so happy about being groomed. Our sweet little Lady was surprisingly grouchy on Saturday. I got into the curry comb and got the opposite reaction to what I expected. She flattened her ears, her eyes hardened, her nostrils flared. Her lips twitched but not with bliss- she looked like if she thought she could get away with it, she’d take a bite out of me.

I gave her heck of course because I don’t allow that kind of disrespectful behaviour, but then I got to thinking...myself being female as well...and knowing what it’s like to be feeling a little out of sorts at certain times of the month, or year in her case...and I didn’t press quite so hard with the stiff brush. Her skin was very sensitive. When I took the soft brush to her, she started to relax. I took it easy on her. Once I backed off she knew that she could enjoy the grooming again. She wasn’t her usual lovey self but she was comfortable. That was my aim: make her comfortable.

I really don’t think grooming would be as much fun for me if my horses didn’t like it.

Aside from pure enjoyment, grooming lets me bond with them and even do a bit of training. I insist that they stand straight when tied to the barn, and not crowd into each other or dance around on the end of the rope. This is hard work. Just when you think you can get into what you’re doing, you have to go move a butt over or make somebody step forward or back a little. It’s worth it though.

I’m getting to know Phoenix, who’s been with me for three weeks now. Every time I see him and spend time with him I’m more grateful to have him. Not only is he clever and gentle, he’s beautiful.

Appaloosa horses aren’t known for having thick manes and tails.


The Little Lady’s mane has been getting thinner and shorter for the last few years, and over the winter she somehow lost half her tail. We are fanatical about not breaking tail hairs and making sure there are no evil burrs lurking in the pasture, waiting to snarl up tails and forelocks. Phoenix has the most amazing tail. It’s a lovely tail for any horse let alone for an Appy.



I squirted their tails with ShowSheen. It makes the hairs all slippery and easy to comb out. I went at it with methodical concentration. I blocked out the breeze, the tractor noise, the Girl with the camera, the birds, that stupid rock at my foot, everything; five hairs at a time, I loosened the tangles.


I brushed it out in sections.


I brushed it from the bottom up.

I brushed his whole tail, from the top down, over and over.




I stood back and admired.

I felt good.

Eventually we did saddle up and ride, but this was a high point of my whole weekend. I felt much more at peace with myself and all my inner conflicts and troubles and emotions. My brain felt just a little bit quieter, and my hands felt satisfied, and my eyes were happier.

16 comments:

Anissa said...

He's beautiful, Heidi. Gorgeous. And I love the colors in his tail. So happy for you both!

dilling said...

i get that in the garden and when I finish whippersnipping the yard...
and during a long hike with the dogs....
how long before they both rolled in the dirt?!?

~Pees With A Fist Sitting Down said...

Sounds like a day at the salon. Scalp massage, shampoo, cut and style! Everything except the ride at the end. Hehehehehe

CindyDianne said...

Sometimes I go to the barn thinking I am going to ride. Then, I start grooming and all of a sudden ridind isn't as important. I love grooming too!

katy said...

i never knew that so much work/pleasure went into grooming horses, and yes he is beautiful

Heidi the Hick said...

Anissa- thank you!

Dilling- yes. All of those things. Such a great feeling of satisfaction that it's done, you did it, and it looks great!

And...yeah they pretty much went out in the pasture, ran around three times, took a few bites, and then rolled!!

JJ-Y'never know how a great day will end, eh?

Cindy- I'm learning that sometimes it's more important to just spend that time with them. If all we do is saddle them up and not pay attention to them otherwise they get a little grumpy...at least mine do!

I thought you'd like this and I'm glad you stopped by today!

Indoors- I like how you referred to grooming horses as work/pleasure because that's exactly what it is!

Balloon Pirate said...

Spending all that time around a horse's ass would bother me.

[insert joke about my boss here]

yeharr

Heidi the Hick said...

Yay, I wondered who'd be the first one to make a butt joke!

Nicole said...

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a girl. Show Sheen's been my favorite grooming aid for over two decades. I bought a tube of Cowboy Magic a few months ago, and I like that,too, but it's not nearly the sensory experiece that Show Sheen is. Lovely pics, Heidi. And would you please STOP having such awesome hair yourself? Us fine/straight/thin-haired types get easily riled.

Biddie said...

I don't know about horses, but I do know about animal therapy. Spending time with Ruby always raises my spirits.
He is beautiful, and I can't wait to meet him.

Heidi the Hick said...

Nicole, have you ever used ShowSheen on your own hair? I consider it. I might do it. I'll let you know how that goes...and as for my lovely thick naturally curly unnaturally raspberry coloured hair...well I didn't get long lean legs so I gotta work what I got!

Biddie, animal therapy is awesome! They give back so much to us. I hope you can come meet him when school gets out.

LadyBronco said...

Love the beautiful horse, Heidi.

I wish we had them, but the husband is very uncomfortable around animals bigger than him.

captain corky said...

It's great how involved you are with the horses. Just imagine what this world would be like if people treated each other half as good as you treat horses.

Heidi the Hick said...

Lady B- you know, a lot of big men are kind of freaked out by horses. I'm not sure why but I think eventually they come around once they get to know the animal. (thank you for complimenting my new horse!)

Corky, part of the reason I'm so good to them is that I'm sucking up and I want them to think good respectful thoughts about me...because I'm not very big and strong and I want them to never think they can push me around!!! Thank you for your comment- that's very meaningful. One of my goals in teaching people to ride is actually teaching them to care and respect. maybe I can make the world just a little bit better in a very small way????

Marni said...

Not to change the subject or anyting, but you MUST click on this link, Heidi... you MUST

http://www.bastardly.com/archives/2007/05/21/for-the-bastardly-ladies-johnny-depp-pirates-of-the-caribbean-iii-premiere/1/

Heidi the Hick said...

Marni you can steer the subject that way any time!!!