www.flickr.com

Monday, February 19, 2007

My First Writer's Workshop

Recently I tried something new. I plunked down some cash and sat down at a table with a few of my writer’s group mates. I am a writer! I am honing my craft! I am here to learn!

It was worth it. The day’s topic was “How to Write a Page Turner” and covered the stuff I’m not especially strong in: suspense, tension, and how to plot a story in a way that makes the reader want to keep going. My writing tends to be soft, and plotting out an entire novel is problematic for me. I tend to start and keep going and end up surprised at the outcome...which is a lot of fun....but can really lead me to some thorny dead ends.

Our instructor, Brian Henry, is an editor who spends his weekends teaching all of us starry eyed aspiring novelists how to do what we want to do. He’s funny and clever. He took us through all the tools for writing to engage the reader, like how much information to dole out at once, or imposing limits on characters to make the story more interesting. Being an editor, Brian has little patience for crap and I like that. I’ve spent the last two months teaching myself how to cut the crap. I’ll be back for more of his workshops.

Our guest speaker was the very beautiful and intelligent Eve Silver, who is a chiropractor, college anatomy class lecturer, wife, mother, and... published author. She became a doctor because it was, of course, a good thing to do for a living, and the expected thing to do for a living, but always regretted giving up her high school dreams of being a writer.
She writes for a very specific genre called Gothic Romance. Now I am not a fan of romance novels. I get bored. But let me tell you, Eve Silver is the perfect guest speaker if the subject is SUSPENSE. I bought a copy of His Dark Kiss and ...I can’t put it down. Except to eat sleep and write. I want to know why Lord Anthony Craven is so bitter, and why the two previous governesses left the estate in pine boxes, and what the hell is that scratching breathing invisible sound Miss Emma hears following her, and who locked her in the icehouse, and what happened to the housekeeper’s arm, and Lord Craven’s hand, and why, why why is the footman carrying anthrax ridden corpses up the tower?????


It’s so delightfully overwrought, almost to the point of cheese, but thrilling and dark and creepy and so much fun! Of course, being a romance novel, there is ample description of the devastatingly handsome Lord Craven, who walks around in a white shirt unbuttoned at the neck, breeches, and riding boots, god help us all. He’s troubled and intense but underneath it all, he is- gasp- sensitive!!! Every two pages or so we read about his dark unkempt hair, his beautiful green eyes framed by long black lashes, his sensual mouth, broad shoulders, strong hands, muscled thighs, small buttocks and- I kid you not, this is so great- the hard planes of his chest, the supple ridges of his abdomen!!!!!!

...and I think to myself, dang, she is describing my Jethro!!!!!

(other than the breeches and boots thing....and Okay, and the chest and abdomen thing. What? He’s gotta work for a living, he doesn’t have time to go stomping around getting all muscular on a haunted estate, okay? But other than that...)

Now here are a few very inspiring facts about our featured author:

-She still has a full time job.
-In order to steal writing time, she admits that she has not cleaned a toilet in five years. Yessss!!!
-She is what we call a “pantser” which means she writes by the seat of her pants, without a written outline and only a vague idea of where she wants it to end up.
-She never actually learned to type. My jaw dropped when I heard that, because I am a pathetic typist, constantly backspacing to fix things, and it bugs me, but at least I can type! She does the old hunt and peck. While slowly typing out the first word, she is formulating and rewriting the rest of the sentence. She says it’s not ideal, but it allows her to really think it through. She doesn’t work as hard in the edit and revise stage.
-She got THREE HUNDRED REJECTIONS for her first novel.
-The book I bought is her second novel. By this time next year, she will have, I kid you not, EIGHT books in print.

How? She didn’t give up, she worked on her craft and improved it, and she put a lot of work into finding a good agent for her. And she’s a hard worker. She has settled into a genre she likes and is good at.

Very inspiring.

After the presentation, we did a writing exercise which we read among our groups. Mine wasn’t great. It didn’t have anybody on the edge of their seats. However, my fellow students had some constructive suggestions. I’m going to rewrite it today. I’m so excited, that I am truly at the edge of my seat, breath caught in my throat, tiny beads of sweat dotting my brow.

Eh?

Meanwhile, I handed my middle grade novel to a friend who also happens to be a teacher. I told her to really be thorough with it- forget that we’re friends, trust that I will still love her, and just please find anything boring or stupid or incorrect.

Her critique has been so valuable that I could just cry tears of happiness. Yes, it means more work for me, and it could mean taking out or changing a few things in the book that I kind of liked...but it can be improved, and I know it will be.

I’m at a point now where I can fully understand why this thing has been rejected so many times over the last two or three years, or however long it’s been since I started submitting it. I can’t even remember.

I looked around the room a few days ago at the writer’s workshop and took in how many of these eager faces introduced themselves as aspiring writers, or unpublished authors, or future bestselling novelists. I didn’t, even though I fully intend to successfully sell my novels. I introduced myself like this:

“Hi, I’m Heidi, and I’m a genius.”

Brian specified that our information did not have to be true...

But it really struck me how few of us will get there. One woman asked if there are any tricks for remembering what you’d written four months earlier. I cringed. The answer was that you must write daily. Even if it’s just one sentence. This is something I knew a long time ago even if I didn’t always follow it.

We have to really want it. We have to want it so bad that we’re willing to work at it. It’s not easy. Writing is....um...like...hard.

I think about all the 60 kids in the first year of Jethro’s college course. One hundred and twenty kids sent audition tapes the the Recording Engineering/ Production program. Sixty got in. Less than 30 graduated two years later. (Edit- he read this and corrected me- there were actually about 1200 applicants for sixty positions in the program.)

I think about all people who joined my Equine Business Management course last fall and how few were left three months later. I myself wanted to quit. I taught myself that I don’t want to run a boarding stable. I want to teach people how to ride, but not full time, because it's my therapy, and I want it to stay special to me.

I want to write. I want an agent. I want to pick through words until I find the right one. I want to get these fake people out of my head and into yours.

Well. I have work to do.

And I have to find out what happened after Lord Craven engulfed Miss Emma in a big wet tongue licking hard bodied heart drumming hot indelicate kiss. Damn. Good luck with that, Miss Emma.

28 comments:

Doughnut said...

If you are half as passionate in your writing as you are on this blog, I have no doubt you will be successful Hiedi.

"I want to get these fake people out of my head and into yours."

Just change the names of those you come in contact over your life. I often find that real life events are more unbelievable than fiction and often more interesting. You could write a book just on your Midwest cousin's visit. I am sure you wouldn't have to work too hard to extrapolate, elaborate and anihalate that memory....

I just bet there are more than a few good books in you about that Chevy truck too! Good luck Hiedi! I look forward to reading your first published novel and having you autograph it :)

Crafty Missus said...

are there any good raunchy parts in that book? i'm sure i'm not the only one around here who skips the blah blah blah for the dirty parts.
have you thought of publishing chunks of your novel as you work on it? i'm reading an anthology of the newf writers guild and there are many exerpts from novels in process...
or local writing journals? a little taste of being pulished to whet the palette?
i am always intrigued by your writting, i keep comoing back for more.

Heidi the Hick said...

Leroy, funny you should mention using real life for fiction! I sometimes take an event, change it until nobody involved would recognize it, and go from there. I get quite paranoid about my friends finding out that I pilfered from them for "my art" but really, that's what a fiction writer does. We're kind of thieves and liars...It all comes out eventually...

Cara, so far lots of wriggling and pressing and denying! Lots of emotional confusion and waaaay more description of all the hot parts. These people have baggage, which of course means that there's an interesting conflict that drives the story!

I've got lots of short stories submitted to literary magazines and I'm always looking for more places to send stuff. I've been pretty serious about it for the last year, since MY HEAD STARTED CLEARING.

I'm so glad you like to come over here and read!!!

terry said...

heidi, you are such a gifted writer, you need to be published.

keep at it.

katy said...

heidi one day YOU WILL be published and we will make sure we all buy a copy of your first book, mind you i want a signed copy of it!

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Sounds like a fun class! You'll be published soon I'm sure. I want an autographed copy...

Heidi the Hick said...

You know, I often think that you wonderful blog buddies are really just being nice because you've decided to like me for some reason...but heck, I'll take the compliments!! That's one of my goals: Learn To Take Compliments!

THANK YOU because it feels good to have this kind of encouragement. I didn't start blogging with this in mind, but darnit I like it.

(As much as my skind crawls at the thought of signing an autograph...)

Smartypants said...

Lord Craven.

Yum.

Write, write, write. I have a 30,000 words into a novel. I put it away for the past year b/c of all the crap going on in my life. In the last two weeks, I've finally had the urge to start writing again.

Write down where you'd like to be in three years. Published, etc. and you might be surprised how much of it is true when you reread it in three years time...

Heidi the Hick said...

I knew it Smarty. I just knew it.

I do have it written down, yes I do!! I've got a one year, two year and three year plan. I've never had a plan that concrete in my life.

Write every day, my dear. Even if it's just one sentence, even if it's not your novel.

dilling said...

writing is....like...hard...
it's work, dammit...but you gotta love what you do.

dilling said...

how about a romance novel ABOUT a horseback riding instructor....see where I am going with this?

captain corky said...

“Hi, I’m Heidi, and I’m a genius.”

Hi, Heidi. I'm Corky and I'm a genius too.

I really like what I read on your blog and I think you have what it takes to make it as a writer.

Anissa said...

Hey Heidi! Great post. I'm so glad the workshop went well and provided inspiration. Keep the faith, you'll get there!

And you're absolutely right, writing every day is crucial. :)

DINK said...

HEY BABE LET`S GET THIS STUFF PUBLISHED AND RUN AWAY!!!!! IT`S AWSOME! <3

Heidi the Hick said...

Dilling...are you a mind reader???? I started one like that and abandoned it. I'm kind of thinking it might be my next project.

Corky, clearly, obviously, you are a genius. And look fine in in that yellow shirt. Thanks for liking what you read here.

Anissa, thank you!

Dinky Mar Mar, I'm workin' on it, believe me!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Okay,

ROMANCE NOVEL READING PROGRESS REPORT

Miss Emma there has really been gettin busy with her handsome Lord Craven. Whoo boy. I've officially read The Good Part now and let me just say, I think Lord Craven is my new hero.

Balloon Pirate said...

Just remember what Uncle Ernie said:

"The first draft of anyting is shit."

yeharr

Heidi the Hick said...

Uncle Ernie knows best.

Therese said...

You've got the passion, girl! And the drive to do the things it's going to take to reach your goal.

Reading outside your usual interest zone is a *great* way to learn more about craft. When you get past your hero lust, maybe take a look at how Ms. Silver kept you turning the pages!

Have you read Jane Eyre?

Anyway, just keep writing! I was where you are not so long ago, you know. ;-)

CindyDianne said...

Go Heidi, go Heidi, You can do it, you can do it.

(I missed my calling when I didn't become a cheerleader in High School. It's about all I am good at.)

Heidi the Hick said...

Cindy you are an awesome cheerleader!!! I'll think of you when things grind to a halt and I need a boost okay?

Therese, I have been thinking of how she created all that suspense but I think I'll have to go over it again with a critical eye rather than an enjoyment eye. Does that make any sense???

Here's to Lord Anthony Craven! WHOOOOO!!!

Eve Silver said...

Heidi, I just found your blog, and it made me laugh out loud. Glad you have found your hero in Anthony Craven...

dilling said...

Holy, Heidi...you got the author to comment on your blog!!!!!! Can you please mention Vincent D'Onofrio and my name on your next post?!?

Heidi the Hick said...

GAHHHHHH!!!!

Eve Silver commented on my blog!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy **** am I ever glad that I genuinely am enjoying her book!!!!

Oh, and um, My friend Dilling is Vincent D'Onofrio's biggest fan!!!

(Damn, my chest is vibrating!!!!)

Heidi the Hick said...

Okay now that I've picked myself off the floor...

Anthony Craven is hot stuff.

Eve Silver is the real hero!

Michael Colvin said...

You is famous now!

Michael Colvin said...

The workshop sounds fascinating. I hope you got some good pointers for use in your future bestseller!

Steve Bodio said...

I'm usually down on workshops as I have known them-- but this one looks more useful than any I have seen.

"-She is what we call a “pantser” which means she writes by the seat of her pants, without a written outline and only a vague idea of where she wants it to end up.
-She never actually learned to type."

I love it-- me too for both!

You are Heidi and you are a genius-- don't forget.