www.flickr.com

Thursday, February 22, 2007

Me, Johnny and Orlando


As you may already know, my fascination with the one and only Johnny Depp started with Edward Scissorhands. Before Edward, I really didn't know much about this guy other than his almost unnatural prettiness. My friends had pin ups from the show about the fake cops which I never watched, and I'd stare at the pin ups, agree that he was otherworldly gorgeous, not admit that the pout was tiresome, and then moved on.

You’d think I’d be into movies about monster trucks, not the sad little monster creation of reclusive genius, but it makes perfect sense that growing up in the country with cold black winter nights would create a love of the dark side in me. Edward won my heart and I was hooked.

But this being the early 90s there were other things taking up room in my heart, specifically, my boyfriend becoming my husband, my failed college try, my fledgling horse career, and then my new baby. And then my second new baby. I didn’t see many movies in the 90s. I don’t really remember much of the 90s, honestly.


I had a few moments of catching up with Johnny. I got little bits of Gilbert Grape on the movie channel at the studio waiting for Jethro to get done work. I saw parts of Don Juan DeMarco, but not the beginning or ending, and I saw the part of Chocolat where he’s gonna take the squeak out of her door. Every time I’d have to not see the whole thing I’d tell myself that one of these days, one day I’d rent it, and the kids would go to sleep and stay asleep so I could see the whole thing.... some day...

Then this little movie project caught my ears, an unbelievable undertaking that I was convinced was a hoax. I couldn’t believe that anybody would be foolish enough to even attempt it. It took me over a decade just to read the Lord of the Rings, and I had to read it in installments. I figured it would be a disaster. Until I saw the commercials and thought, Hmm, looks alright. Who’s that cute little blonde elf person?

One of my friends went to see it, thought it was crap, but said, “You should see it, Heidi. That elf dude with the long blonde hair? Totally up your alley. Totally your bag. Totally your thing. You’d like him a lot.”

So I did, and I did.


I credit the whole mess of hobbit/ elf/ king movie trilogy with getting me to watch movies again. It reminded me that I used to really like movies. I had some catching up to do. My Edward Scissorhands had been very busy while I was off gestating and lactating for a few years.

And I kind of liked that Orlando Bloom person. He made me feel like a dirty ol mama for sure, but it really wasn’t so bad! Legolas the elf was all noble and perfect and I probably wouldn’t like him much in real life because of that, but, all the archery and horse riding....that’s just fun good stuff.




Soon after, I had the TV on one evening when a very loud commercial roared into the room. Ships! Pirates! Swashing! Buckling! And what’s this? Is that... is that...Johnny Depp? And...Orlando Bloom? In the same movie?

It’s like I’d been waiting all my life for that and didn’t even know it.



You’d think I’d be into cowboy movies, being a landlubber like I am, but being of a somewhat rebellious nature it makes perfect sense. Pirates are outlaws. I’m not really much of an outlaw in real life, not really. It makes perfect sense that growing up in the country surrounded by a family of good Christians would create a love of outlaws in me!

Besides, take a pirate off a ship, swap the tricorn for a stetson, and what have you got? Well, basically you've got a rubber legged confused criminal but try to work with me here Okay?

I’m serious, if Johnny Depp ever makes a real cowboy movie I’ll forget my own name. Wha???

So, devilish, sneaky fast talkin Captain Jack and trusting, noble, perfect, and slightly naive Will Turner won my heart.



Clearly I am shallow but I’m okay with that. Really, I’m okay with it.


So I would just like to take this opportunity to thank Johnny and Orlando for being so very entertaining. And so swashing. And so very buckling.

18 comments:

Timmy said...

yum.

I love when you write about my man!

Heidi the Hick said...

Timmy, I JUST posted this!!!!!

Are you sitting there behind your computer dying to know what pictures I'm putting up today?

Nicole said...

Okay, Heidi. I suppose it's finally time to send you those pictures I took at the D-land premiere of Dead Man's Chest. It looks like a couple of the ones you've posted here are from that same night. :-)

Heidi the Hick said...

GAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marni said...

I *heart* these two so very, very, very much. Especially Orlando as Legolas... my fantasy...

These pictures make my day.

Biddie said...

i must admit that I do love Orlando as Legolas. He was perfect for the role. I love the Pirates movies, and that's good, cuz we have Johnny's biggest (little ) fan here in our house. next you, of course.

CindyDianne said...

ya know, Orlando hasn't been my type. Too baby faced, too boyish, too pretty. BUT, he's growing on me!

And I put another crush list up yesterday!

Heidi the Hick said...

Hey guess what? It's official: Orlando is my daughter's Second Big Crush Ever and is becoming an Even Bigger Crush Every Day...

captain corky said...

Pirates of the Caribbean was hilarious and so was the second one. Johnny Depp is a phenomenal actor. He was really good in Finding Neverland too.

Heidi the Hick said...

I think he's a great actor. He can change his mannerisms, his face, his voice, to suit the character. Even if he was reallly homely I'd still love him.

terry said...

supple ridges of his abdomen... !

made me snort! love it. love them.

if you ever get a chance to watch the hbo series "extras," you MUST catch the episode with orlando bloom. HILARIOUS.

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, I got "supple ridges of his abdomen" from the romance novel I just read. I gobbled up that book in two and half days. We'll have to catch "extras" after we're done with Chappelle and The Office!

dilling said...

you and your boys....I still come up with guys to add to the crush list...but simply can't add more...it's too, too much.
You know, I only like Orland AS legolas...so I guess my crush is on Legolas...probably for all the reasons you say would drive you crazy!!!!

Doughnut said...

You have some interesting "lusts" Heidi! Full of surprises you are and lots of adventure. Am sure you would have made a great pirate in a different time.

Heidi the Hick said...

Dillling, that's so great- your crush list is a book!!

LeRoy, I might be a puppy rescuing cowboy girl pirate. Veterinarian princess ballerina. Or something. ha ha!!!

Doughnut said...

ROFL Heidi...I am sure it will be something uniquely delightful!!! And your imagination makes me thing it will likely be the "OR SOMETHING OTHER" that none of us could dream of!

Crafty Missus said...

looks like i got a lot of competition round here for orlando's love.
as long as kevie got the rubber ears, i can day dream all i want.
;-0

~Pees With A Fist Sitting Down said...

Yeah, knee buckling. Yummmmmmmm. :P